WATER DAMAGE TIMELINE-FAST ACTION IS KEY!
Severe Water Damage in Long Beach Office Building
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of Downtown Long Beach / Signal Hill provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of Downtown Long Beach / Signal Hill arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 –562-591-1788
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of Downtown Long Beach / Signal Hill
SERVPRO of Downtown Long Beach / Signal Hill specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
WHEN MOLD BECOMES AN ISSUE...
Mold discovered in a Long Beach home's crawl space. SERVPRO of Downtown Long Beach / Signal Hill provided remediation services & solved the problem!
It’s estimated that more than 1 million types of mold exist, yet less than 10 percent have actually been named. This means mold is very common in both indoor and outdoor environments. While mold and humans can sometimes co-exist without issue, there are certain species of mold that can cause health effects for some people.
If the right conditions exist, mold will grow. Those conditions include:
- Water - Different mold types require varying amounts of liquid before growth begins.
- Temperature - Normal indoor temperatures will promote mold growth.
- Time - Initial mold colonizers can take hold within one day after being exposed to an adequate water supply.
Mold growth can occur in any home, so it’s important to keep an eye out for situations that might promote mold activity. Roof/chimney leaks, wet basements, or condensation from ducts that dampen surrounding insulation are just a few examples of issues that make a house a prime target for mold growth.
If you suspect mold in your home, call SERVPRO of Downtown Long Beach / Signal Hill to assess the situation. We have the knowledge, tools and track record to effectively remediate mold in your home or business.
If you suspect mold, call us today at 562-591-1788.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
Contact SERVPRO of Downtown Long Beach / Signal Hill for mold remediation services.
• FAQ : WHAT IF I WANT TO MOVE MY OWN CONTENTS AND BELONGINGS AFTER WATER DAMAGE OR FIRE DAMAGE AT MY HOME OR BUSINESS?
Do you want to move your Contents yourself after water or fire damage?
SERVPRO Downtown Long Beach can help you with moving, evaluating, storing, or repairing your contents, personal belongings, or business furnishings if you have had fire damage or water damage at your home or business.
Part of the remediation process may require moving or removing items in the way of remediating your home or business.
- For example, if the water line to your refrigerator causes water damage to your kitchen, the affected cabinets may need to be temporarily removed so the walls behind them can dry out. In this case, the contents inside your affected cabinets will need to be packed and stored while the remediation is taking place. Do you have the time and energy for this?
- Another example would be water damage at a commercial business. There may be equipment, desks, or important paperwork to move, assess for damage, or restore. Do your employees have the time and energy for this?
- Some claims require extensive repairs, so a customer may need to be moved to a temporary location. We have had business customers who need to be up and running ASAP. In these cases, the contents are moved to our 18,000 sq ft warehouse for cleaning and then moved to a new location. Do you want to risk one of your valued employees getting injured while moving contents and equipment?
SERVPRO Downtown Long Beach/Signal Hill/Lakewood is ready to respond quickly to move, assess, or store your belongings. If items have been damaged beyond repair or restoration, our Contents Department uses special software to capture important data and photos of each item that needs replacement. If you file a covered claim, this compiled list is sent to your insurance provider so they can assess the value of the damaged items in order to issue you a reimbursement check.
For those do-it-yourself customers with the time and strength to pack and move their belongings, we are happy to provide packing materials. For our customers who are busy or cannot physically move their belongings, we have a fully trained Contents Department who can do the delicate packing and heavy lifting. Our Contents staff can pack, assess items for repair or replacement, and bring in specialty vendors for wet paperwork, damaged furniture, or heavy equipment in need of restoration.
Once remediation is complete, our Contents Department will schedule a day to return all of your items and put them back in place. Some customers use this opportunity as a “Spring Cleaning” to purge their belongings, so they prefer to place back the items themselves. Other customers want our team to place all the items back as they originally were. Our goal is to get your life back to normal or your business up and running as soon as possible. That is what we are trained to do. If you have a preference, please communicate it to your SERVPRO Downtown Long Beach Project Manager or give our office a call.
Experiencing a water damage or fire damage at your home or business is a stressful event for our customers. SERVPRO Downtown Long Beach/Signal Hill/Lakewood are at your service if you need your contents or personal belongings moved, evaluated, or stored. From our Emergency Service Project Managers to our Contents Department and Construction & Repair Department, we can help alleviate some of the stress by taking care of your water or fire damage insurance claim from start to finish.
FAQ: I AM A RENTER AND MY RENTAL HAS WATER DAMAGE– WHO WILL PAY FOR MY DAMAGED PERSONAL BELONGINGS?
What happens to a renter's personal belongings when a water damage occurs?
SERVPRO of Downtown Long Beach Recommends Renter’s Insurance. Here is why.
Operating our restoration business in Downtown Long Beach presents us with the complex world of working on water damage or fire damage in Multi-Unit or High-rise properties. Let’s give an example of all the players that can be involved in a water loss at a 4-story condo complex with 2 units being affected by the loss. Here is the setup:
- Rita rents Unit 1 on the first floor from her landlord Lucy. Owen lives above Renter Rita in Unit 2 on the second floor and he owns the property. At 2:00 am on a Saturday night, Owner Owen’s toilet starts to overflow. Owner Owen doesn’t get home until 6:00 am, at which time he discovers the water damage. He shuts off the supply line to the toilet (which actually work because he is a good homeowner who replaced them last year) and calls Renter Rita. Renter Rita answers her phone, telling Owner Owen she is on her way home from the airport after a redeye flight and in no mood to deal with this situation.
- When Renter Rita gets home, she discovers that the toilet water has saturated her bathroom and entire closet full of clothing. Renter Rita calls her Landlord Lucy in tears to give her the news. This is when Renter Rita finds out that her Landlord Lucy is not responsible for any of Renter Rita’s personal belongings. Landlord Lucy says, “Renter Rita, I told you to get Renter’s Insurance when you moved in!” Renter Rita starts to seriously panic at this point. She has a big meeting tomorrow with nothing to wear, not to mention she is already exhausted from her business trip. She starts to soak up water with towels, which does little good but she doesn’t know what else to do.
- In the meantime, Landlord Lucy calls her insurance hotline and asks a lot of questions. Landlord Lucy’s next call is to Owner Owen to yell at him, letting him know that he is responsible to fix her unit and pay for Renter Rita’s stay while the work is being done. Owner Owen tells Landlord Lucy to calm down, mentioning that neither of them is responsible. Alas, Owner Owen has reviewed the CC&R’s, which state that toilet overflow is covered by the HOA, with a few exceptions that they can work out later.
- At this point Owner Owen and Landlord Lucy start a 3-way call with HOA President Horatio. HOA Horatio is not a morning person, so he tells them that they both need to file their own claims immediately, including Renter Rita if she has insurance. HOA Horatio explains the HOA policy covers only part of the claim, and the final responsibility is worked out at the end of the claim between the insurance carriers. The HOA is required to meet to discuss the claim once it is determined who is responsible for which parts of the claim. This could be a month or more out. If they don’t call SERVPRO of Downtown Long Beach, their preferred Water Mitigation vendor,
ASAP, then the claim price will most likely go up since the damage gets worse the longer the water sits.
- Owner Owen and Landlord Lucy hang up and call their insurance carriers back. They too are told by their insurance hotline that SERVPRO of Downtown Long Beach is their preferred vendor. They decide to make separate claims and call SERVPRO.
- Before they know it, a friendly SERVPRO of Downtown Long Beach team is on site, taking measurements, setting up equipment, and moving affected items aside for assessment.
- While the SERVPRO team is working, Renter Rita calls her insurance carrier, still in tears, hoping for a miracle. Mr. Insurance places her on hold for several minutes while he reviews her policy. Renter Rita bites her nails, waiting impatiently for them to give her the news. Mr. Insurance gets back on the line to tell Renter Rita that, Yes! You do have a renter’s policy. It turns out her local broker added it at her last renewal, per her request. Renter Rita works so much that she sometimes forgets all the ways she sets herself up for success. She was thrilled to find out that her policy covered her damaged clothing. Mr. Insurance issued Renter Rita an emergency check, as outlined in her policy, to buy a few items while her damaged clothing is evaluated for restoration or repair by the SERVPRO of Downtown Long Beach team.
- A month later after the repairs are all completed and all affected parties are settled, Owner Owen, Renter Rita, HOA Horatio, and Landlord Lucy meet up at their local wine bar, to catch up and laugh about their big fight. The HOA ended up covering part of the claim and their personal policies covered the balance. They say a group “Cheers!” to their insurance carriers.
- This story could have ended very differently if all parties were uninsured or underinsured. Here are some helpful tips:
- Make sure you understand your coverage.
- Spend time with your agent asking questions to ensure you fully grasp what is and is not covered by your policy.
- Go through different made-up scenarios with your agent to find out what your coverage would be in different situations.
- For example, “What if I left a candle burning and there was smoke damage in my apartment?” Or “What if my neighbor’s refrigerator line leaked and ruined my ceiling?”
- Take the time to review your coverage if anything changes with your property or living situation.
- If you are a renter purchase a renter’s policy. If you are a landlord, encourage your renters to obtain a renter’s policy.
- Moral of the story – insurance is part of our daily American life. Set yourself up for success by purchasing an insurance policy that fits your needs.
Water Damage at your Rental Condo, Multi-Unit Property, or High-rise? We are ready to help. Call SERVPRO of Downtown Long Beach, Lakewood, Signal Hill at 562-591-1788.