CAN YOU GUESS THE MOST COMMON CAUSES OF HOUSE FIRES?
There are many situations that may cause a fire, but can you guess the most common causes of house fires? It may happen in ways you least expect. Take precautionary measures now to protect your home from the following fire instigators. If an accident occurs, SERVPRO of Downtown Long Beach / Signal Hill has you covered.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, cooking equipment is the number one cause for house fires. Pots and pans can quickly overheat when left unattended or mishandled. Be sure to turn handles towards the middle of the stove to avoid children from accidentally grabbing it from the burner. When leaving the house, remember to turn off stove-top burners and ovens.
Moreover, smoking in bedrooms should be avoided at all costs. A cigarette butt can stay lit for hours and cause a flame after coming into contact with clothes or furniture. Open flames such as candles also pose a danger for many residents. While they may have an attractive look and smell, candles should always be blown out before you leave a room.
Furthermore, older lampshades and light fittings may build up heat, and weak bases could pose a tipping hazard. Electrical equipment such as these should be checked for faulty cords, and the power point must not be overloaded with double adapter plugs. Also be mindful of flammable liquids such as petrol, kerosene, or methylated spirits around the house. These should be kept away from heat sources and stored properly according to their label.
If you experience a fire, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Examine you and your family for injuries and seek medical help
- If you can’t find a place to stay, your local Red Cross can help provide food and provisions
- Notify your insurance company about the fire
- Do not re-enter your home until instructed to do so. Talk to firefighters about what can be salvaged instead
- Once you are cleared to enter the building, check for important documents and keepsakes
- Make a list of your possessions and note damaged goods
- Keep track of receipts for expenses as a result of the fire
Nobody wants to come home to a irreparable damage. By knowing these common causes of house fires, you and your neighborhood can live a little bit safer. When accidents happen, SERVPRO of Downtown Long Beach / Signal Hill is here to clean fire damage and restore your home quickly and professionally.